This program prepares students for certification and initial employment as paramedic in the state of Florida. The program follows the National Emergency Medical Services Education Standards for Paramedic and Florida Department of Education Curriculum Frameworks for Paramedic. The course is divided into three sections or phases with several courses per phase. The final phase has an additional course for the student to ride on an ALS permitted ambulance. At the completion of the program. The student will receive a workforce certificate and will meet the prerequisites for the Florida Paramedic certification examination.
A Selective Admission Program
This program prepare student to advance in their scope of practice as an out of hospital provider of emergency medical care. The program is intended for the Florida certified EMT who is employed by a public service agency or health care provider. The Medical Director and/or the Program Director select all students.
Career Opportunities/Rapid Placement
Immediately after passing the state of Florida Paramedic Exam, the student will be eligible to advance in their department.
The base annual salary range can be located on the online at a site like: http://www.medicalassistantvacancies.com/paramedic-salary.html.
Successful completion of this program will allow the student to test to be a certified Paramedic in the state of Florida. The test is administered by the state of Florida Department of Health Bureau of Emergency Medical Service via the Medical Quality Assurance Board.
The Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE) is a major criterion in a student’s completion of the program. Students who fail to meet the State of Florida’s designated exit score will be required to complete the Vocational Preparatory Instruction (VPI). In order to complete the program successfully, students must achieve or surpass the designated exit score(s). See the Standards of Academic Progress.
Paramedic Program is a selective access program. All needed instructions and documents will be provided during the admission process.
To meet the minimum requirements for consideration for acceptance into the program, applicants must complete the following as instructed during the admission process:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Provide a copy of high school diploma or equivalency degree
- Provide a copy of a current Florida EMT Certification
- Provide a copy of a current AHA Health Care provider CPR card (front and back)
- Provide a copy of a current Driver’s License
- Provide a copy of current health insurance coverage
- Submit to a criminal background check- national
- Submit to a drug screen test
- Submit to a physical examination
- Provide proof of immunizations (Rubella, German Measles, Mumps, Varcella, H1N1 Virus, Hepatitis B, TB)
- Submit TABE, CPT, SAT or ACT scores
- Approval by the Medical Director and/or Program Director
Need More Information?
View Program Information and Contacts
Total Contact Hours: 1,100
Total Workforce Credits: 36.5